Let me introduce myself...
My name is Bob Hartung, and I'm the author of the Bear Nose Way series.
Daniel—DISCOVERY is the first in a series of four novels. Book two in the series is Daniel—LEAP OF FAITH. Each book takes Daniel Elwood farther down the road to maturity, with wonder and challenge his constant companions. Go to the links above and find out more about first two books.
I am not a professional novelist, though I've done my share of technical writing. Writing dialogue is new to me, and there's much to learn to make it seem real and thoroughly engaging for the reader. Forgive me if there are errors. Given time, most will be corrected.
I am the father of six. I also have eighteen wonderful grandchildren that make life exciting and rewarding at the same time. Originally, it was just for them that a short story was to be written, and that story has now blossomed into a series. More about that in a moment.
In my 70+ years on the planet, I've learned a thing or two. Much of which has helped me weather the storms of life. I'm not perfect; I'm far from that goal. My wife had a little plaque given to her from our youngest daughter that reads: "I'm beginning to think I will never be old enough to know better." That pretty much sums up my life so far. I'm still trying to learn how not to screw up, and when I do, how to repent instantly. Learning and correcting are parts of mortality for which I'm thankful, aren't you?
Over the years, I've had to deal with inconvenient truths that seemed to attack my core convictions, and I now shudder when I realize how close I came to rejecting that new enlightenment. New insight leads to growth, if it's not dismissed because it's a tough pill to swallow.
We're here to grow—physically, mentally, socially and spiritually. That growth can often be painful. Growing pains, however, indicate maturation—becoming something better than what we were. After all, the Plan of Happiness is also a plan of eternal progression. The attributes of deity are not mastered in a day or in a mortal lifetime.
So, how did all this come about?
I'm glad you asked. At the end of 2013, my eldest daughter came to me and asked if I would write a short story for the grandchildren, probably thinking I wouldn't be around too much longer. I had been battling stage 4, muscle invasive bladder cancer, and the outcome could have gone either way. I'm a grateful survivor.
Anyway, at the time, I didn't seem to have a story in me, and I put it off. It wasn't until early 2014 that a "bug" bit me, and I started writing a short story that has gone way beyond anything I had envisioned.
After book one was nearly finished, a friend and successful author told me that I needed to offer the story to a wider readership. Her insights and helpful criticisms refined my undertaking, and Daniel—DISCOVERY was born.
As I mentioned, the book was originally intended just for my grandchildren to help them safely navigate through the hidden shoals in life's tempestuous seas. I also hoped they'd avoid wasted time in the "Great and Spacious Building." Mormon readers will get my drift, other's will have to read the Book of Mormon to appreciate the reference.
Life for our children and grandchildren in this, the twenty-first century, is going be challenging. As I'm sure you've noticed, these are the times when good is called evil and evil is called good. With just the right amount of seasoning, even the most hideous might seem tasty. However, no matter how sumptuous a poisonous offering may seem to the pallet, when assimilated into the body, it's effect can be fatal. Just because something appears to be good, the appearance doesn't make it so. Discernment is vital.
It was with that premise in mind that the writing began and is still going on. Book two, Daniel—LEAP OF FAITH, has now been written and is undergoing refinement and then editing. It will be out in the not-too-distant future.
Fortifying our children against the dogma coming from the Great and Spacious Building must be recognized and addressed by every parent who loves his or her children. To allow the secular world be the only response to life's questions and challenges, is to send our precious children off into battle without shoes, let alone a shield. I know what I'm talking about, for in those "hallowed halls of higher learning" I, for a time, enjoyed the honors of men, and that was nearly spiritually fatal.
This series introduces the reader to world concepts and practices that run contrary to revealed truths. It addresses spiritual issues and discloses some of the deceptions of the secular world.
- It gives sound answers to some of life's most perplexing questions;
- It defends the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ and validates the Book of Mormon;
- It underscores the fact that the Book of Mormon is exactly what its pages claim it to be, and that the people characterized in its stories were real, living individuals of a former time;
- It warns us that problems of a former civilization are not unlike those we experience today;
- It also gives proof that the Book of Mormon took place right where Joseph and Oliver said it did, and the things depicted actually happened.
Secular Attitudes and Theories
- The secular world would have us believe that the Constitution of the United States is fundamentally flawed;
- That it was written for a people of a less enlightened time, that the idea of self-rule is absurd and inefficient;
- That Man is incapable of knowing he is endowed by a Creator with certain inalienable rights;
- That the source of all rights can only come from a government that has the power to enforce their continuance.
- That Man, in reality, is nothing more than an advanced form of primate, though a lot prettier, self-aware and sagacious.
- That prior to European discovery, there had been no civilized society in North America, and that all indigenous inhabitants of the Americas crossed Beringia to get here.
These issues and many more are addressed. Learning and reasoning, when coupled with inspiration from above, provide the discernment needed to deal with the propaganda of the secular world.
We need to be strong
This series is being written to fortify the upcoming generation against the fiery darts of the adversary, enabling them to see clearly through his appealing, yet counterfeit attractions. When confronted with ideas that would weaken the testimony of a stalwart, this next great generation will, hopefully, be properly armed with truth.
For this reason I'm writing the story of Daniel that, in reality, is the story of each of us. What he feels, we have felt. I hope this offering helps each of us quench those fiery darts and stand steadfast in the whirlwind. God bless us all to accept new enlightenment when it is bestowed upon us. We must remember to stay CLOSE TO THE SAVIOR and remember THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE HOLY GHOST.
I also hope the story is a fun read...
BEAR NOSE WAY Synopsis
THE DANIEL NOVELS
BOOK 1: DISCOVERY (What's Beneath Your Feet?)
- Introduces reader to the characters
- Sets the stage for Daniel's education: scholastic and spiritual
BOOK 2: LEAP OF FAITH (How Firm a Foundation)
- Reveals major goals of the secular educational system
- Half truths and outright lies, and deliberate actions to hide truth
- Daniel experiences a Leap of Faith
- He starts to make sense of the controversies and a hidden agenda
- Family secrets are reconciled and new family unity forms
BOOK 3: INCONVENIENT TRUTHS (The Father of All Lies)
- Daniel helps disclose the great deceptions of the current secular education system
- He sees clearly many philosophies promulgated from the Great and Spacious Building
BOOK 4: BY A THREAD (True to the Truth)
- I'm keeping this book a secret until its released...but it all comes together